Friday, November 24, 2006

My trip to India Nov 2006








Here are some pictures from my recent trip to India. This is a serene village in Bengal named Gopalpur. In search of some green and village scenes I biked to this place.






Here is another one: This picture was also taken in the same area. River Kunti (Koon-tee) runs through the village. Along the river, people use boats to commute: farmers bring their produce to the markets, milkmen bring milk from their farms, kids go to schools. The river is like a highway. It might be a little slower than your I-95 or Highway 1, but more economical and eco-friendly for sure. I took this picture from a rickety wooden bridge where I had to pay a toll tax of 50 paisa (little less than 1 cent) for my bicycle. Please note that no motor-vehicles are allowed on the bridge.




October-November is the harvest season. The rice-fields are bare now. The grains and the hays are stacked, and loaded on boats to the market...





..and these two boats look like a pair of slippers to me. Won't you agree?




Have you ever seen a glow-worm? Have you ever seen it from REALLY close? I found a swarm of them in a village. They feed on leaves. Here is a picture. I had to push the limits of the macro mode of my camera to get this shot.


No comments: